RSS

This is Dawn's personal blog. The blog name Orchids in Formaldehyde hints of sweetness and darkness in her views. A paradox of perspective that is sometimes confusingly unpredictable.

The Rainmaker by John Grisham

I found more of my blog posts from way back when I was blogging in Multiply. That site has now been defunct, but luckily I have saved some of the posts before it went bye-bye. And another thing, I really do have accounts everywhere! And my posts are all scattered across the web. Hehehe. Better organize them all in one place, so I could keep my sanity intact. :D

Here's the review:

Ok, I can’t believe I just read that book. It was about a lawyer and normally, I’m not interested in lawyers and law. But that book got me hooked after a few sentences. I don’t know, maybe it was something I could relate to. Anyway, the story is about a fresh law graduate who can’t seem to find a job. But, he has stumbled upon a couple of juicy cases. He struggled, especially since he’s just a rookie, and his opponent is a large company with one of the biggest firm around to represent them. Yeah, it was a struggle. But he had lots of time, since he doesn't have other cases, and he end up actually winning that case.
What’s sad about this story (and something I would never understand) is that at the end, he gave it all up. After that great victory on that one case, he fled the area. Yeah, as in vowed never to come back. And he’ll never practice again! No, he didn't get the money, the company went bankrupt before he even got a dime. His two other cases? One was a will for an old lady of maybe forty millions worth, but ended up with only forty thousand. The old lady was lonely, so she made up the story of inheriting millions of money from her late 2nd husband to get the attention of her family. The other case was a divorce. But the girl ended up killing her husband because he’s been beating her for years. Of course, our lawyer got the girl. They've had this thing going on even before the divorce and the death of the husband. I think that’s the only part of the ending I was satisfied with. But they left, to go to the mountains with only two thousand dollars in their pockets! I hate the ending so much! It was just his first case, and he got famous for it, and after all the struggle?! And I was just beginning to understand a lawyer's world, and now he doesn't want anything to do with it? But still, I'd give this book 4 stars out of 5 because it was an easy read, and it got me interested in something I never imagined I would be.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment